Following periodontal therapy, whether it be scaling & root planing or some form of surgical therapy, maintenance therapy is designed to preserve and further improve your periodontal status. Just like your car, your house or a piece of equipment, regular maintenance cleanings are required to keep your gums and teeth in healthy working order for long-term stability.
Maintenance therapy is an on-going personalized dental cleaning program designed to prevent the recurrence of gum disease. The frequency of maintenance recall cleanings is based upon your healing response to periodontal treatment and your ability to perform meticulous home care. Intervals can vary from once a month to every six months.
A periodontal maintenance visit will include:
- A review of your medical history
- Examining your mouth for any abnormal soft or hard tissue changes
- Assessing your oral hygiene effectiveness and providing instruction for improvement
- Measuring pocket depths and other periodontal measurements of health
- Examining your teeth for cavities or other dental problems
- Obtaining X-Rays if required
- Thoroughly cleaning your teeth of plaque and calculus deposits
- Applying desensitizing solutions to your teeth if required
Periodontal disease is the major cause of tooth loss in adults. Maintenance visits will help protect your periodontal health and reduce your risk of future dental problems. Treating periodontal disease early can reduce the amount of treatment and the complexity of the treatment than if it is left to the later stages. Simply put, a maintenance visit is a wise investment in your dental health!
A commitment to periodontal maintenance therapy is a commitment to better health!